Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Legitimizing a Discipline: Evidence-Based Chiropractic

[all links open in a new window - click around!]
The field of chiropractic is a difficult one for an outsider to understand. For starters, it covers a wide range of practices. Think of the last time you saw a chiropractor’s office: it was most likely located right near another. This is because each practice has the potential to be markedly different. A brief history of the profession shows that it was originally based mainly in philosophy and therefore categorized as complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Many doctors today still adhere to this ideology; they are known as traditional or straight chiropractors. They deal almost exclusively with the manipulation of the spine & believe subluxations to be the root of all problems in the body.
However, in recent years, as a reaction to the generally negative opinion the field of medicine had towards chiropractic, some doctors have started to move into an era of evidence-based care. So what does this mean exactly? In a nutshell, evidence-based chiropractic involves the use and implementation of researched, proven techniques for treating specific conditions. This, combined with a doctor’s clinical experience, is used to create a very specific and efficient treatment regime for each patient. It incorporates physical therapy, soft-tissue mobilization, ultrasound, and other musculoskeletal therapies. These chiropractors, like me, look at the body as a whole, interconnected system and treat it as such.
Before becoming a chiropractor I had a strong background in science. I worked in biotechnology for three years developing compounds for pharmaceutical use as well as harvesting stem cells for treatment of Myocardial Infarction. While in these fields I learned to find, read and analyze research. This is where I found my passion for evidence-based medicine, and why I chose to open my own practice.
My practice in West Newton is currently filled with pieces of equipment (or as my staff and I call them, “toys”). As a gadget lover, I research and find new and interesting things that will increase patient outcomes. The advantage of working in an evidence based practice is that there is a vast database of treatment protocols to pull from. Every patient is different; some people will react well to a treatment regime of Graston, rehab, and manipulation, but their friend with the same symptoms may require something different, like vibration therapy. To me, this is the fun part of being in practice; I’m a detective using peer-reviewed articles and case studies as my tool box to try to determine and treat the problem.
If you walk into my clinic, you will notice that I utilize a variety of techniques. I live in a world of muscle, bone, and fascia. Most of the treatment protocols revolve around addressing those components. Graston Technique for the fascia, rehab for the muscle, and chiropractic manipulation for the bone. It is my responsibility to take what I know to find ways to improve and balance the three.
Before judging the field of chiropractic, be sure to take the time to research it. Most people are unaware of the variations in treatment types from one doctor to the next, and could in turn be missing out on the ideal solution to their chronic injuries and pain.
  1. knolan reblogged this from muichiropractic
  2. muichiropractic posted this

No comments:

Post a Comment